View Single Post
Old 12-25-2007, 11:17 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
kelsh

Exclamation Moderate drinking....

Hi Daddy'slittlegir,

I think you have a lot of good ideas and questions. I don't know of anyone that has been successful with drinking one or two drinks and staying there if they have abused alcohol in the past.

I was called a maintenace drinker because I could only afford so much to drink...so stayed at the six pack a night forever but did drink at the same time everyday or I would get the shakes.

I come from a long line of alcoholics in my family so do have a concern with your use of xanax and drinking.

You do have a predisposition for alcohol abuse also with genes from your father. It may not develop into alcohol abuse or alcoholism as with my Mom who was the only one that didn't drink in our family but yet had alcoholic parents.

I wish you the best of luck. My Mom gave up her life to take care of her Mom in our home as we were growing up. Her whole life revolved around taking care of Grandma when she would come home drunk...It was a sad situation for my Mom. But she chose to do it and also chose to be co-dependent with my brother who still is drinking at the age of 65.

I have been sober a long time and still take antidepressants for my Chronic Depression. When I finally got sober it was the one thing I wanted more than anything else in my life.

Your Dad has to decide this for himself. It does not matter what your Mom wants for him or you either...he is the only one that can get help and keep on getting the help he needs. Actually, when he drinks with a mental illness diagnosis...they refer to that as self-medicating. That is what I did.

Please keep coming back and read, post, or just say Hi...we all will be keeping you in our thoughts. :ghug

kelsh