View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 06:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
jimhere

Originally Posted by tellus View Post
Does that make sense? I want to be well, but I think somewhere in my head I don't want to quit drinking. I know I can't do this unless I really, truly want to, so this scares me.

The fact that I need to go into a program and quit has been becoming more and more unavoidable. Logically, I know that I cannot continue like this, but I'm having trouble facing reality. I know a lot of this is due to my depression (I isolate myself and ignore problems), and I know that my depression is made much worse by my drinking.

At the suggestion of my shrink, I've been trying to taper until I can get off work for detox. Last night I arranged things so I was busy until after the stores closed, so I couldn't buckle and go out to buy more booze. So I'm proud of that, sort of. But as a result I only got three or four hours of half-sleep, and I've had nothing to do but sit in my disgusting apartment and think. I suppose I could have gone out to buy trash bags so I could start cleaning, but my neighborhood isn't the safest and I don't like to go out at night. So I just sat in front of my TV and picked (I'm also dealing with compulsive skin picking) to try to keep my mind off things.

I'm sorry for being so long-winded. I'm frustrated right now because I know I can do this if I just commit myself to it. Is this common for people facing recovery?
I understand your frustration. I could usually pull of what I intended to do, but not with quitting booze. It both baffled me and frustrated me.

I also understand the idea of managing drinking. Never worked for me, just made it worse and the frustration and anxiety worse.

Where do you live? Do you want some help? If you truly do want to stop for good, it is possible. You don't ever have to drink again.
Jim

p.s.-you can send me a pm (private message) if you wish