View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 10:22 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
DesertEyes

Hey there DLG, and pleased to meet you

Originally Posted by daddyslittlegir View Post
...This situation with my family, hurts like hell, and just like the depression at times it feels like it's just gonna break me for good, but i never seem to break, i don't think i will, I just think It'll teach me things other people will never learn in their lifetime, and make me as strong as all you wonderful people on here. From tragedy comes triumph, some of you are there, and some of you are still on the way there, me, I'll get there one day...
You won't break. There's a saying that goes round the meetings of Adult Children of Alcoholics that says "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger". It looks to me like you have obtained a great deal of strength already. There's another saying: "Pain is weakness leaving the body". That one sounds like you as well.

You are already half-way like us. You have the strength, you have the understanding that the problem is in your parents and not you, you have the dedication to making _your_ life better. The only thing you don't seem to have is a structured program of recovery. Al-anon and Adult Children of Alcoholics have worked very well for me. You might want to check out some of the literature and see if you find it useful.

Oh, and another thing that makes you like us is that you are willing to share your experience, strength and hope on this forum. There are a lot of people who "lurk" and never post, many of them your age or younger. So please continue to post, you are helping a lot of people indirectly.

Mike