View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
outonalimb

crisis of 'religion'...

I've been fighting a huge internal battle over the last several weeks. I think I've worked my way thru it but boy did it take alot of blood, sweat and tears.

I witnessed a really bigotted, discriminatory, and, IMO, hateful course of action taken by a religious leader in my community. I don't really want to go into specifics about what was done...but suffice it to say that the action was taken in the name of our faith. Our faith...or our 'religion' if you will...called for a loving, giving and faithful human being to be ejected from our spiritual family because of who he is...and not anything that he has done.

Anyway...
This whole thing really broke my heart... and my spirit too for a while.

I can't understand why it was necessary to harm another human being in the name of our HP. It doesn't make any sense to me...and I reject any notion that our loving HP would want to see members of a certain group ostracized from a religious community simply because they are who they are.

I almost walked away from my 'religion'...
Not my faith, mind you...because that is a different thing altogether than no one can take from me...

I feel betrayed by my church. I feel hurt. I feel somewhat ashamed of it right now. I never thought I would feel this way. But this incident took the 'glow' or the 'polish' out of something I hold dear to my heart.

I've cried alot about it.
I've yelled alot about it...
I've prayed that my HP would shine a light for me because I certainly needed it.

I'm not quite thru the storm yet but I'm slowly working my way thru.

Has anyone else ever experienced such a crisis with their church (no need to be specific about what it is...)...?

I have and its kinda scary.

Thanks for letting me share.