View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 11:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Lobo

I don't think accepting a call from jail is enabling when it is a call to let you know that she has been arrested. You need to know where she is. I think it becomes enabling when she calls everyday or a few times a day asking you to get her out. Begging and pleading is not something you should subject yourself to when she is the one who put herself there in the first place and she just has to learn to deal with it.

When my RAD was put in jail three times I did talk to her also. I told her that she had to make the best of it and that I loved her. I told her I would NOT bail her out and do not call me to do so. I told her I would not visit her in jail or put money on her card. She knew I would not subject myself to those standards. Although her jail stints were short I stuck by that. I may have changed my mind if it would have been a longer time. But bailing her out...NEVER.

I don't see anything wrong with talking to her as long as she knows and understands that you will not bail her out or put up with the pleading to get out.

Boundaries are different for everyone. Maybe some would not want to speak to their loved one in jail at all.....but that may not be what is right for you and your AD. Do what is comfortable for you. I don't think there is a right or wrong way......just your way.

Hugs...............Lo