View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 12:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
chip

Welcome to the alcoholism forum, Sunshine

It's sad when active alcoholism hurts families.

I have to agree with what Jfangle said:

" I am no mind reader, therefore I can't tell you when or even if your husband will stop, but I am fairly sure that it won't happen on any one's schedule except his. I would suggest that you plan for your and your children's future and pray that his schedule is conducive to your needs, but don't bank on that. "

I also agree with Nandm's post :
You make the statement that when you leave, you leave for good. To me that sounds like you probably have your mind made up as to what you need to do. I would suggest though that if you choose to leave consider leaving that door open (but don't necessarily let him know that). The reason I say that is there is a part of hiim that you loved enough to marry and have children with and hopefully if he is able to get sober that person will come out again.

An alcoholic won't stop until he or she is "done". I'd advise you to take care of yourself and your children first.

I know that I would be torn up if my wife and children left me. One of the big reasons that I quit drinking was because I was aware of how my drinking was affecting my family life. If I didn't quit, I'm sure the family would not exist with me in it this very day. I don't know your husband, nor can I guess where his bottom is. There are some of us who need to lose so much more before we really surrender.

The key to the AA program, from my understanding, is a complete surrender. Some of us need to lose more than others to really get it.

I hope your family can find healing with a sober Dad.
chip