View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
DeLynnC

Originally Posted by guineapigjude View Post
If it's possible for you to try another group (and it doesn't seem like it is), give it a try. I do meetings, counseling and have taken Barbara's route.
Another factor I have in attending other meetings, in addition to what I have already stated, is my 5 YO DD and what to do with her. Can't leave her with my hubby! The trust is not there right now. The other meetings I can attend are in the evenings. But the overlying factor I have is what I said previously, I'm just not "feeling" it.

I totally understand the validation and support you have from the other members, I just didn't feel ANY connection to the members I encountered. I know what I'm going to get with that statement, that I'm not giving them the chance if I base my judgement on my first impression. That's probably true. I truly do wish I had a larger population base to draw from so the Al Anon community would be a little larger. You know, a bigger pool. Going to another town is out of the question as well. The next town over is only 3000 population and no Al Anon. The next town with meetings is 90 miles away! So, I'm stuck with what I can find here.

I have to say my greatest successes have come from reading, self examination, and opening up to/listening to my HP.
Boy God and I had some encounter yesterday! I was finally able to schedule some time with my priest again, and while talking to him and listening to his input, I have realized how THERE He has been recently. As Father said, I had a "DUH!" moment.

Right now, hubby is on a different path. What he wants to do is good. It's just doing what he says he is going to do. He calls it "Mind, Body, and Spirit" exercises. He is taking 30 days to 1. Not drink, 2. Start exercising, 3. Spend an hour a day journaling in his "Gratitude Journal" (he suffers from severe depression among other mental health issues) 4. Spend an hour with ME in prayer or studying spiritual works (bible, lives of the saints, etc), spiritually connecting with our marriage which is a component that has been missing in our 27 years of marriage. He didn't drink last night, but after all I've been through with him, I'm not letting myself get too excited about what he has planned. Let's just say "the proof is in the pudding". It's "One Day at a Time"....

I really do feel good about what I'm doing, especially after my spiritual advisory session with Father. It did me a world of good, and he gave me good advice and helped me to see God's hand working.