View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 05:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
atalose

First meetings seem to be met with large dissapointment. I can't say I know anyone who attended their first meeting without feeling uncomfortable.

What were your expectations for al-anon? If you left feeling like there was nothing for you to utilize, I'd say you need to attend more meetings. You can't fully judge what al-anon has to offer you based on one meeting.

I got allot out of al-anon even though I never really worked the steps. I gained insight into myself from many books from al-anon. I never really worked with a sponsor, that was not for me. I did gain friends, people going through very similiar situations that I was. No matter how much I talked with a counselor, prayed or went to church it was not the same to be able to open up to someone living the same life I was only in a different house.

This site has been a wonderful place to come and vent, share and gain insight and knowledge about addiction. I also looked into my codependency something I never understood I had but it goes hand N hand with alcoholism. Once I understood that about myself and accepted it, I was able to change for me.

I attend al-anon every once in a while now and at almost every meeting I see a new member who was just like me, looking for the magical way to gain control over there alcoholic and get them to stop.

I've learned, it's not about that at all, it's about me, for me and helping me with making healthy decisions for myself through out life.