View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 02:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DeLynnC

Originally Posted by Barbara52 View Post
For me the route I've taken involved lots of reading, individual therapy and self examination. My route requires a desire to be brutally honest with myself, something that doesn't work for everyone.
I guess after attending the meeting this how I feel. I too, have been doing lots of reading and, as I said in my original post, am seeing a counselor (individual, not marriage) and with the support I have around me and also utilizing spiritual counseling with my priest, I have been brutally honest with myself.

I know what I'm doing that is wrong, and I have a pretty good sense of what I'm doing that is right. As I research and read, I am finding different ways to approach my situation. Some work, some don't. I have, through the advice of my counselor begun to take better care of myself, and believe me that in itself has made a huge difference in how I feel and how I deal with my life. I think I was also feeling a sense of redundancy with the Al Anon meeting as well.

I know Al Anon works wonders for many many people. There is absolutely no denying that fact. As I said in my post, I really wanted this to be something I could utilize, but with the strong discomfort I felt, I don't believe attending more meetings is going to change that. I live in a small community, and the attendees are not going to vary from one meeting to the next by much. The ladies at the meeting I attended all indicated they also attend the other meetings during the week.

I really appreciate everyones input and advice. I wish I felt different, but I do know myself good enough to know, no number of meetings is going to make me feel different. I might see if the library has the Al Anon books so I can see if I might be interested purchasing them.

I continue to welcome input and advice. That's why I'm here. It's just as much a part of what I'm doing as anything else. I may not be able to see you all face to face, and I understand that is a very strong component of Al Anon, but I know what you have to say has worth and I value it greatly!