Thread: Hello...
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 11:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pinkcuda

Originally Posted by Sammy27 View Post
But this means everything will have to change and that's really scary.
You bet it's scary. We Alcoholics don't handle change well as it is. Aside from not drinking, the only real changes in your life are going to be the changes you make because you want to. You'll be lost at first but hang in there. You will probably quit going to bars because you won't want to go. You'll change your manner of having fun because you want to. It's not that bad. In fact, it's not bad at all. I love it.
My Father quit drinking about 20 years ago. I used to pity the poor guy because he couldn't drink. I actually felt sorry for him. Now that I've come to my senses and quit drinking I realize I was wrong in feeling sorry for him. He was probably feeling sorry for me while I was out learning the lessons I had to learn. By no means should you consider quitting drinking any sort of a sacrifice. You are not sentenced to a life of sobriety.
I won't BS you here, getting over the hump is tough. This is where we see what you're made of. Yes it's scary. Find someone to hold your hand through the tough times. Find someone that's found the way and do what they do. I'm glad you're here, help and support comes highly recommended!