Notices

Hello...

Old 11-16-2007, 09:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello...

I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I've been sober for less than a day. I've just accepted the fact that I have a problem. For a while I thought I was drinking because I was depressed. I am depressed. But I think I'm depressed because I'm drinking. Now I know I need to stop. I've actually known for several years now. It's time for me to stop. I don't like who I am. But this means everything will have to change and that's really scary. I will probably lose friends. I'll have to tell my family and they won't understand. My dad is an alcoholic, still drinking heavily. My mom doesn't understand it and thinks he can have "just one drink." She'll probably offer me drinks. Christmas will be interesting. And I was looking forward to hanging out with my best friend back home at our favorite bar. I'll have to tell her too. Then what will we do? What am I going to do for fun now? That sounds so stupid, but my social life has revolved around bars and drinking for the past 10 years. I just don't know what else to do.

I made a list a few months ago about all the stupid things I had done while drinking. It took up several pages of my journal. But there have been so many more in just the past few months. There are things I won't even write down because I am so ashamed of them.

Anyway, I'm here.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

We have all done humiliating things when we were drinking.
But the good news is that is the past and today is new.

We have today to rewrite a whole new beautiful alcohol-free future.

It seems overwhelming with the changes that are made in recovery but there is so much more to life than drinking/bars. The thing is when we are drinking, then that is our focus and we place so much emphasis on it and think that is what everyone is doing. Well, it's not and there are many people enjoying life alcohol-free and you can be one of them.

There is hope for recovery. You can recover.

Keep reaching out and keep posting.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do this!!

Please know that you can do this!! Keep praying and stay strong!!! It will get better!! Hugs,Deanna:praying
Old 11-16-2007, 11:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sammy27 View Post
But this means everything will have to change and that's really scary.
You bet it's scary. We Alcoholics don't handle change well as it is. Aside from not drinking, the only real changes in your life are going to be the changes you make because you want to. You'll be lost at first but hang in there. You will probably quit going to bars because you won't want to go. You'll change your manner of having fun because you want to. It's not that bad. In fact, it's not bad at all. I love it.
My Father quit drinking about 20 years ago. I used to pity the poor guy because he couldn't drink. I actually felt sorry for him. Now that I've come to my senses and quit drinking I realize I was wrong in feeling sorry for him. He was probably feeling sorry for me while I was out learning the lessons I had to learn. By no means should you consider quitting drinking any sort of a sacrifice. You are not sentenced to a life of sobriety.
I won't BS you here, getting over the hump is tough. This is where we see what you're made of. Yes it's scary. Find someone to hold your hand through the tough times. Find someone that's found the way and do what they do. I'm glad you're here, help and support comes highly recommended!
Old 11-16-2007, 11:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

welcome!

So ... what is going to be your plan of action?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's good to see a new member...Welcome!

As you have been drinking for a long time
seeing your doctor is a wise move before
stopping abruptly.
A medically supervised de tox would be safer.

Keep in touch...
Old 11-17-2007, 04:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...

Keep posting, we are glad you found us...:morning
Old 11-17-2007, 05:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Sammy, welcome to SR. whays your plan? do you have support of some kind?

Congrats.

Kevin
Old 11-17-2007, 08:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Sammy!
Welcome aboard and congratulations on Day 1.
The people on here are really grat and have allot of good advice to share.
You said you don't know what you can do for fun now. Was drinking really all that much fun? The hangovers were fun? The embaressing situations you put yourself into were fun? The way you humiliated yourself was fun? I don't think so.
Personally I think that I need a bit of time to adjust to life without alcohol. But I know allot, probably the vast majority, on here all have fun lives. So their must be other interesting and fun things to do out their other then drinking.
Let us know how you get on.
Take care.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Keep posting and help and support from these great people will overwhelm you.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of good advice here Sammy and Welcome!

The only thing I would add is that you don't have to tell anyone about your decision if you don't want to, and you don't have to offer an explanation to anyone if you don't want to or if you're not ready to. When I stopped drinking (finally) I just did it quietly. It worked for me. I just wasn't ready to expose myself and, even now, I tell very few people.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 11-17-2007, 12:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome - please continue to post - it's good to see a new member
Old 11-17-2007, 12:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Sammy ,
Congrats on your day 1 !

Welcome to SR , keep posting , and yes , do see your GP and be honest with him re your drinking, allow him to help you , because as Carol says , stopping abruptly can be dangerous .

I also agree with Anna, re the disclosing of your plan. it is entirely up to you when and if you tell people . For me, initially I was very sensitive about it , ( I attend AA) and didnt want anyone to know, but now, my closest friends know, and I have become their designated driver LOL . I also have shared the fact with some others if it has come up in converstion, and have found nothing but support . But this takes time . Dont worry , at this point re telling others .

For me, AA was the way to recovery , if you choose this, just give them a ring, and you will find HUGE support .

Whatever route you choose, just dont pick up 1 drink for 1 day !

HUGX
Leigh
Old 11-17-2007, 04:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Thank you everyone! Still kind of fuzzy on the plan. I have looked up meetings and know of at least one I can go to. I haven't really said much to anyone yet- just kind of a "I think I might take a little break form drinking for a while...." The thing is, it has been such a big part of my life socially for so long, people are going to look at me like I've lost my mind when I order water at dinner or turn down a happy hour invitation. And that's okay, it's just that they're also going to question me and I don't feel like getting into it with everyone yet. I know I don't have to. I'll probably just say I'm trying to lose weight or I'm not feeling well or something....

Also, thanks for all the encouragement- I KNOW there are fun things to do without drinking, and no, drinking wasn't all that much fun all the time. It's just such a big change...hey, maybe I'll actually start doing things I've been too hungover for in the past! Yoga, running, hiking more often....

I'm going to try to find a therapist, too. Because I do suffer from depression and have for several years. And there's a lot to deal with with my family history too....

Anyway, thanks for all your support!
Old 11-17-2007, 05:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Sammy - be thankful you had the courage & sense to come to this conclusion. I lurked on here for a couple months trying to get inspired! I'd read the posts for hours at a time, with beer in hand! I had no intentions of actually quitting at first, and then when I tried to stop I couldn't understand why most people were so "cheery", because I sure wasn't. I also thought nothing would ever be fun anymore (holidays, vacations without alcohol?) & life would become so sad and dull. I admit, I have a long way to go, but each day is a little brighter and easier than the last. It's been slow progress for me, because I drank for over 30 years. Don't become discouraged. This is a wonderful place where you can be yourself and tell the truth about what you're going through.