Thread: a.a. scares me
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 09:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
selkie

Originally Posted by beatnik View Post
I'm new to this forum and I already like it. I decided to quit drinking today (oct 15). I am 27 and have been drinking since I was 15. I am sick and tired of waking up hung over and confused.
I called a.a. today and the guys that I talked to seemed to be more concerned about pushing their spirituality. That is all I heard. Is this typical?
Have you gone to a meeting? Try going to a few... it won't kill you.

When I got sober, I didn't call anyone and talk to somebody in an office... I got in my car and drove to a meeting. I sat in the back, watched, listened. Eventually I met people, shook hands, went for coffee... I enjoyed it. Just like in the real world, I associated with people there with whom I identified or looked up to. I don't let people proselytyse to me IRL and I never have had a big problem with it in A.A. either. I've known plenty of what are functionally atheists who have done quite well in A.A.

Whatever route you decide to go, you need to do it and experience it in real life, not over-analyze it on the internet. On the internet, unless you're talking about strict atheism, EVERTHING can be painted to be a cult or "too religous" or too this or too that.

Beware of "contempt prior to investigation," as you might dismiss something that you actually may like or actually may work for you or actually may not be really all that religous, or may be something you actually need.

Good luck! dshake