View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 11:43 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by bugsworth View Post
If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic. If that be the case, you may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer.
The Big Book, 3rd Edition, William G. Wilson, Chapter 4, We Agnostics, page 44.
The Big Book also has Dr. Silkworths opinion in it which adresses alcoholism as a disease comparable to diabetes.
Alcoholism deals with the mind, body, and spirit.
The mind has to change as in the behaviors, resentments, anger, that keep us drinking have to be resolved.
The body has to change, that is the disease part, we have to allow the body to heal from the damage done to it by alcohol. We have to allow the brain receptors that are geared toward getting more alcohol, that drive the cravings time to heal.
Yes, I agree there is a spiritual aspect to it. For me it took adding that component to the three to find any success at resolving my alcohol problem for any length of time. I understand there are people who do not address this component to quit drinking but I have not met any that have been successful at any long term recovery.