Notices

Alcoholism as a disease?

Old 10-12-2007, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Alcoholism as a disease?

Originally Posted by bugsworth View Post
Tazman, With all do respect, you can not be comparing alcoholism with cancer or diabetes.

These diseases can not be arrested or halted by a choice. We choose to feed our diease.
This quote comes from a thread on another topic. I find it an interesting perspective though.

Alcoholism is considered a disease by the medical community. At least for the past 20 years I have been a nurse.

As far as choosing to feed our disease, if it were as simple as that then we would be able to choose to stop at any time. Unfortunately, it is quite a bit more complicated than that. It is a physical, mental, and spiritual disease. There is the physical aspect of the uncontrollable cravings (these are present despite knowing the destructive consequences of taking another drink). There is the mental aspect which of the insanity that is induced and increased the longer the disease is allowed to progress. The spiritual aspect is not a part of the medical diagnosis but it is a part I believe is present as without a spiritual program of hope and faith I was unable to arrest the progress of the disease.

Yes, it is similiar to diabetes or cancer. They can not be cured, just as alcoholism can not be cured. They can however be put into remission or the progress of the disease halted. When an alcoholic stops drinking the disease of alcholism is put into remission (cancer can go into remission). The progress of the disease is halted. But once the alcoholic starts drinking again the disease starts its destructive progress once again (The progress of diabetes can be slowed or halted when a diabetic makes the dietary changes, weight changes, and lifestyle changes necessary to control the disease).

As I stated before, drinking is not a choice for an alcoholic, at the point the person is alcoholic, the choice to drink or not is no longer a choice. Once the person is able to stop drinking via any method that works then it becomes a choice whether or not to pick up a drink and start the cycle of the disease again. Only then is drinking a choice for the alcoholic.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

I agree with you, my partner is an alcoholic and I do not wish to leave him as I feel this is like leaving someone to cope with illness alone. I suffer from depression and I know I always will. I can have good days and bad depending on my control and medication. My illness effects my family and friends just as alcohol can. Thanks for posting this perspective. xxxx
Old 10-12-2007, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

I wanted to post this quote from another thread. I think its good to keep in mind the helplessness of those with the addiction. Thank you to Nandm for posting this

'drinking is not a choice for an alcoholic, at the point the person is alcoholic, the choice to drink or not is no longer a choice. Once the person is able to stop drinking via any method that works then it becomes a choice whether or not to pick up a drink and start the cycle of the disease again. Only then is drinking a choice for the alcoholic.'
Old 10-12-2007, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

To say drinking is a simple choice for an alcoholic is like saying "Oh I choose to drink myself to death!"

Well said Nandm, it is very sad that with all of the medical and scientific evidence proving that alcoholism is a disease and not a choice ignorance still rears it's ugly head even with over whelming indisputable proof staring one right in their face.

Saying alcoholism is a choice is the equivelant of saying all blacks like chicken, all mexicans are lazy, every one of polish decent is stupid, all jews are cheap!
Old 10-12-2007, 10:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

'drinking is not a choice for an alcoholic, at the point the person is alcoholic, the choice to drink or not is no longer a choice. Once the person is able to stop drinking via any method that works then it becomes a choice whether or not to pick up a drink and start the cycle of the disease again. Only then is drinking a choice for the alcoholic.'
This.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nandam, it seems that we agree regarding the choice to drink or not. When the physical addiction is no longer an issue, drinking then becomes a choice.

I choose to not put myself into the same category with people who have no true choice over the progression of their diseases. If I never drink again, problem solved. Not true for so many other people suffering. JMO
Old 10-12-2007, 10:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

it better be a disease, otherwise i should be institutionalized.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tazman, I quite frankly find your post to be vile. I never said alcoholism was a choice. I said drinking was a choice AFTER the physical addiction had been removed. If that was not clear in my first post I clearly clarified it with my second.

I am no more ignorant than you with your parting line of your last post. True character defects showing there Tazman.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have always wondered why we get the luxury of calling this a disease when other people with other addictions do not. Gamblers, Overeaters, Drug Addicts, Sex Addicts etc... all have 12 step anonymous programs but not a disease concept to back it up.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
I have always wondered why we get the luxury of calling this a disease when other people with other addictions do not. Gamblers, Overeaters, Drug Addicts, Sex Addicts etc... all have 12 step anonymous programs but not a disease concept to back it up.
Actually, they are considered diseases as all addictions are considered a disease.

I have never considered it a luxury though. My life and everyone around me's life would have been much simpler had I not fought with alcoholism all my life. I am fortunate to have the ability to get past the disease concept and accept the personal responsibility of making sure I do those things necessary to keep me from picking up again.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Yes, I believe I have a disease.

I stay sober 1 day at a time only by constant attendance to my state of mind.

Once there is alcohol in my bloodstream all bets are off.

Daily AA meetings keep me in the right frame of mind.

I am also now living in a sober house, and there is no temptation here.

But that's just me.

Ted
Old 10-12-2007, 12:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
I know people in some of those fellowships and they do on fact hold to the disease concept of their addictions. Kind of confuses things, but in a nutshell they claim there are chemical processes within the brain that the addict seeks when he/she partakes in the activity at hand. Something to do with dopamine and adrenaline.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This debate again?????? :
Old 10-12-2007, 12:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

cookconfay...That cracked me up! Thanks
Old 10-12-2007, 12:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

We read wordy books and engaged in windy arguments....
Old 10-12-2007, 12:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Originally Posted by cookconfay View Post
This debate again?????? :
Notice that whenever things get quiet around here?...

Old 10-12-2007, 12:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Is it the fall off a 50 story building that kills you, or is it the sudden stop at the end of the fall?

Disease, addiction, inability to control one's actions? Has anyone run accross a "problem drinker" who doesn't have a problem?

The U.S. Govt. has classified alcoholisim as a disability therefore a disease by definition. Can you ask for more? THESE ARE THE FOLKS WHO BRING US THE U.S. POST OFFICE, THE I.R.S. and clear thinking!!

'nuff said?

Jon
Old 10-12-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You know, in the big picture , what difference does it make what you believe?
Disease or not, alcohol caused me dis-ease, and affected EVERY area of my life, and I would not want my old life , or my old thought patterns back.

it matters not to me , what it is called , but it made my life an absolute misery for 37 years, that's all I need to know

HUGX
Leigh
Old 10-12-2007, 02:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I feel an apology is in order since it was me who picked up this perenial debate again. But I always respond to hearing the words "alcoholism isn't a disease like cancer or diabetes". The only way I got sober was by treating my alcoholism as if it was a disease - by which I can mean "a condition I have and I own beyond the control of my will". Just like cancer, just like diabetes and just like heart disease. And these are all diseases which respond to lifestyle changes - some, like diabetes and heart disease more than others - like cancer. But they are diseases which can have their effects mitigated by lifetsyle changes, some of which can require no other treatment except those lifestyle changes which can arrest or even recover some of the effects of the condition.

What people often mean when they say "it's not a disease like x", is that it doesn't have moral equivalence. Well some diseases are more sentimental than others it's true. So perhaps we could say alcoholism is a disease, but it's more like psoriasis, or crotch rot.

Last edited by paulmh; 10-12-2007 at 02:55 PM. Reason: crashed grammar
Old 10-12-2007, 02:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

LOL@Paulmh!

Crotch rot ?

I will admit that Alcoholism can be as UNCOMFORTABLE as that !

i dont think apologies are needed , everyone to their own I reckon

HUGX
Leigh