View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 02:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
minnie

Hi there, and welcome to SR. Hope you've had a chance to settle in and get a read of the sticky posts at the top of the forum.

This is the really tricky bit, isn't it? It seems so much easier to set the "I will not live with an active alcoholic" boundary, than deal with the dry but not recovering partner.

My ex had a period of not drinking and going to AA. In fact, he was the poster boy for a few months. Then he had a relapse, which was not a problem in itself, but he lied about it. He even lied about it on SR. That was my bottom - I could deal with relapses, what I couldn't deal with were the proclamations of recovery without the honesty. And it turns out that he was only going to AA so that I wouldn't leave, so it was all meaningless anyway.

Now, recovery doesn't start and end with AA, despite lots of info to the contrary. There are lots of other ways to achieve the same end - SMART Recovery, Rational Recovery, therapy, church etc. Indeed, many drinkers recover spontaneously and never come into contact with any recovery organisations at all. So, please don't get hung up on the fact that he is not going to AA meetings. I am not AA bashing in the slightest, just pointing out that there are other ways to skin a cat.

What is it about him these days that makes you not want to resume a relationship with him?