View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 01:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ICU

Originally Posted by aztchr View Post
I know I did the right thing.
I absolutely think you did too.. BRAVO!!!!

Many of my other students were questioning my decision to call the nurse and really seemed to be blaming me that the student had to leave school. It was almost as if they thought it was cool she was so messed up and didn't see anything wrong. Makes me angry and sad all at the same time.
Their reaction makes me angry and sad all at the same time too! I wonder what tune they would be signing had you done nothing and, God forbid, the girl died? Oh, right, they would have then blamed you for doing nothing,, I’m sure. It’s very sad that these ‘supposed’ friends, or classmates find fault with your actions, but not hers! Perhaps they might be next on the list for being sent to the nurse/hospital?

I'm really not looking for more to try to save/fix/enable/etc. Some things just seem to keep coming to me.
In this case, you are a teacher and she is a minor, at least I assume she is. I think you had an obligation in this particular case to report her/take action. Do you know how quickly the parent’s might have tried to sue you and/or the school for NOT reporting it and taking action? You see stuff like this all of the time in the news. ‘Some’ parents shirk their responsibilities and then blame someone else for their problems. Sounds familiar huh?

I know you don’t want to fix/enable, etc. I guess each future case that comes your way you’ll have to decide if you’ll get involved or not based on your comfort level.