one of my students

Old 10-22-2007, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

one of my students

I posted in FFof Substance Abusers, too. Many of you know my stories, so I thought I'd share here, too. The more feedback, the better for my own peace of mind.

Well, today a student of mine came to class and really appeared to be under the influence of something. I spoke with her for a few minutes to try to assess things and she admitted to taking some acid last night/early morning. She kept saying she was fine, but I had to call the nurse and she was taken to the office. I found out later they called 911 and her mom was meeting the girl at the hospital for all of the screenings.

I know I did the right thing. I just can't escape the mental second hand effects of drugs lately. My sister as some of you already know is addicted to meth and left my parents and her child over the weekend to walk back to the addicted bf and friends. She says she wants help, but wants to do it her way. When she's home she can't abide by any rules so she gets into fights with my parents and leaves to start the cycle over again.

Many of my other students were questioning my decision to call the nurse and really seemed to be blaming me that the student had to leave school. It was almost as if they thought it was cool she was so messed up and didn't see anything wrong. Makes me angry and sad all at the same time.

Am I just too aware now? I'm really not looking for more to try to save/fix/enable/etc. Some things just seem to keep coming to me.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
full of hope

Originally Posted by aztchr View Post
I know I did the right thing.
Don't second guess yourself, Az! Ask that girl's mother if you did the right thing. You may have saved her life. If nothing else, maybe you've brought to light a problem that the family didn't know exsisted.
Also, it's not like you were walking around looking for someone to save! I think you did the only thing you could do in your situation!

If I was that girl's mother I'd be thanking you!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keepingmyjoy

Ditto....you did the right thing. Couldn't have said it better Chero.

Maybe our higher power knew you were the one to be in the right place at the right time and everything was just as it should be so that she could get help!

Good job!
Old 10-23-2007, 01:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ICU

I know I did the right thing.
I absolutely think you did too.. BRAVO!!!!

Many of my other students were questioning my decision to call the nurse and really seemed to be blaming me that the student had to leave school. It was almost as if they thought it was cool she was so messed up and didn't see anything wrong. Makes me angry and sad all at the same time.
Their reaction makes me angry and sad all at the same time too! I wonder what tune they would be signing had you done nothing and, God forbid, the girl died? Oh, right, they would have then blamed you for doing nothing,, I’m sure. It’s very sad that these ‘supposed’ friends, or classmates find fault with your actions, but not hers! Perhaps they might be next on the list for being sent to the nurse/hospital?

I'm really not looking for more to try to save/fix/enable/etc. Some things just seem to keep coming to me.
In this case, you are a teacher and she is a minor, at least I assume she is. I think you had an obligation in this particular case to report her/take action. Do you know how quickly the parent’s might have tried to sue you and/or the school for NOT reporting it and taking action? You see stuff like this all of the time in the news. ‘Some’ parents shirk their responsibilities and then blame someone else for their problems. Sounds familiar huh?

I know you don’t want to fix/enable, etc. I guess each future case that comes your way you’ll have to decide if you’ll get involved or not based on your comfort level.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Looking out for someone's safety always has to be the right call. If nothing was said, the behavior could continue, or get worse. At least maybe there will be pause on the student's part when the next opportunity to get fried arises.

I'm a manager at a trucking company. Just a few days ago, a driver supervisor came to me for advice. She suspected one of her drivers was drinking before work. The supervisor was worried about affecting this driver's livelihood and was unsure how to proceed. She worried about embarassing the driver. I'm sure you are screaming "of course she should take action to get the driver off the road!! People's lives are at risk!". That's exactly what was done, but my point is that so many of us seem to worry about hurting someone's feelings we don't see what good could come from the discomfort. You know, forest through the trees, and all that.

Obviously, the damages a drunk driver of a driver of a 50 thousand pound rig could cause are greater than a student "tripping" in class, but no matter... the right thing is the right thing is the right thing.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

...I just can't escape the mental second hand effects of drugs lately... ...Some things just seem to keep coming to me...
Hi there aztchr, one thing I've always believed in is that our HP leads us to situations where we can give something or have something given to us. That our HP believes we can handle the things that come our way.

I believe this girl is very lucky to have you as her teacher. It is never a coinsidence when people come in and out of our life, our shared Karma brings us together, until this is expired and then we drift apart again.

You feel as if these issues keep arising around you. I believe this is because you have the knowledge, forsight and experience to help and guide these 'souls'. Perhaps your purpose in this girls life was to bring this matter to the attention of her parents, perhaps you are destined to have a larger role in her life, perhaps she was guided to you because of who you are and where you have been in life emotionally.

The world, God, cosmos, karma whatever you like to label it, works in strange and wonderful ways.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"Maybe our higher power knew you were the one to be in the right place at the right time and everything was just as it should be so that she could get help!"

"One thing I've always believed in is that our HP leads us to situations where we can give something or have something given to us. That our HP believes we can handle the things that come our way."

Just what I was thinking, too!!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

young people seem to have a code amongst themselves about "snitchers"....sounds like they are using that attitude towards you. that's just how they are these days, i think.

i bet they all think twice now about showing up in your class stoned. and that is a very good thing.

it takes a village to raise a child......

thank god you were put in this young womans path....your awareness may be what could save her life.

i hope all my grandchildren have teachers like you, azzie!!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 02:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i think you did the right thing,good job!