View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
aztchr

one of my students

I posted in FFof Substance Abusers, too. Many of you know my stories, so I thought I'd share here, too. The more feedback, the better for my own peace of mind.

Well, today a student of mine came to class and really appeared to be under the influence of something. I spoke with her for a few minutes to try to assess things and she admitted to taking some acid last night/early morning. She kept saying she was fine, but I had to call the nurse and she was taken to the office. I found out later they called 911 and her mom was meeting the girl at the hospital for all of the screenings.

I know I did the right thing. I just can't escape the mental second hand effects of drugs lately. My sister as some of you already know is addicted to meth and left my parents and her child over the weekend to walk back to the addicted bf and friends. She says she wants help, but wants to do it her way. When she's home she can't abide by any rules so she gets into fights with my parents and leaves to start the cycle over again.

Many of my other students were questioning my decision to call the nurse and really seemed to be blaming me that the student had to leave school. It was almost as if they thought it was cool she was so messed up and didn't see anything wrong. Makes me angry and sad all at the same time.

Am I just too aware now? I'm really not looking for more to try to save/fix/enable/etc. Some things just seem to keep coming to me.