View Single Post
Old 11-05-2003, 03:45 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Patsyd1

Hi Recoveree,

"Others might find this interesting as well.

A letter from a group.. handed out to those requesting court card signatures to be returned to the judge, P.O., etc.....,,,,,,"

The above states a letter from a "group"

There is no need to hand out letters of any kind to anyone coming through those doors, because if the group voted No Signing........ thats all that is required.

It is stated at their wedsite that "there are NO Traditions that are broken regarding by signing court ordered slips" so if there is a problem regarding any Traditions that are seen as being broken........ then its best to contact AA or NA World Services, because its not me who is stating that......... it comes directly from the their website.

No where does it state that any group HAS to sign more than there initials on any slip from a court ordered person, simply decline to sign more is all. The courts have no say over if or what anyone signs at a meeting.

If what this group DID was take a group conscience, then I am at a loss also........ because after the group takes a "Group Conscience" and the vote is in.............then there is NO problem regarding court slips any more.

Its the "Group Conscience".....who has the final say about what takes place individually in their group regarding the signing of the court slips or anything other situation that comes up in that group. After that, if anyone sees a problem, then its their problem.

My home group does not see a problem with having anyone come through the doors of AA, no matter how they happen to reach AA is not of interest to us. There are NO Traditions being broken whether we sign or do not sign those court slips. Reaching out to help another sick and suffering alkie for my home group and myself is an honor in SERVICE for us. AA saved my life, and one of actions that I take in gratitude for my own sobriety and to maintain a daily reprieve contingent upon my spiritual condition ....... is I give it away the same way that it was given to this drunk......... FREELY. ALL are welcome, and the day that my own home group votes to exclude anyone based on anything......... thats the day that I will be looking for new home group.

Here is the key as far as I am concerned.........

"Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve thier common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.
The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for AA membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization, or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety."

Our 12 Traditions are not to exclude........ they are there to include all who suffer from this devastating disease that if left to its own devices.......... will KILL.

What has been passed to this drunk by those who came to AA long before I showed up was most valuable to this drunk and I carry it in my heart to to this day......... GRATITUDE for the gift of sobriety. I didn't get sober MY WAY. MY WAY got me here. There is a solution..... and its not MY WAY.

So if all one can see is the negative with those who are coming through the doors........... then I have a suggestion for ya........... the next time you see someone come through those doors and you begin to "think" that they ought not be here for any reason at all ......... then take a really good look in the eyes of the that person whether they have a slip to be signed or not........and then remember where we came from, how we got here, and what its like now........
because there by Grace of God......go I

Love
Patsy