View Single Post
Old 11-04-2003, 07:14 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Recoveree

Patsy, I am at a loss for words. I don’t know how you can read this letter and come to the conclusions that you did.

I have quoted your post in >><< followed by my response.

>>The only ones who can break our traditions is US.<<

The letter does not say any different.

>>And by setting up this appt to discuss anything IS breaking our Traditions, our own anonymity and speaking for NA as a whole.<<

Perhaps you missed the part of the letter that asks for the reader to contact the Public Information Committee, not the group or any member of the group.

I hardly think that a PI committee carrying out their mandated responsibilities on behalf of the ASC or RSC would be breaking traditions.

>>All that is required is to initial the slip.....no one needs to put their full name on anything. <<

That is not always the case. Some of the attendance cards I have seen here ask for more info than just an initial.

>>The best place to address whether our traditions are being broken is at our own group business meeting.<<

That is exactly what the group did.

>> And all we need to do is vote that this ONE group does not sign slips....thats it<<

Again, that’s exactly what this group did.

>>To set up a meeting with any outside organization for the purpose of speaking for NA..... is breaking our own traditions.<<

Absolutely wrong!! Our Public Information Committee and our Hospitals and Institution Committee do exactly that all the time.

>> No law enforcement agency can break our traditions,<<

The letter doesn’t say one can.

>>we are members of NA when we say we are, and that doesn't give any of us as individual or as an NA group to speak for AA or NA as a whole.<<

The letter is expressing the conscience of the group as it states in the first sentence what OUR GROUP will or will not do.

>>We are not affliated with any organization........ and to write this letter and/or set up a meeting with an outside organization....... is breaking our own traditions.<<

You keep repeating the same point, which is incorrect. Our PI Committee is expected to do just what you assert would be breaking traditions. I can only assume from your statements that you don’t know what PI or H&I committees do.

Besides that, meeting with an organization is not the same as affiliating with one. And actually groups and or representatives of groups can and do meet with organizations alll the time. It is called Public Information work, something you seem to not be familiar with.

Public Information is the branch of services that informs the public about recovery from the disease of addiction through the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of Narcotics Anonymous.
The PI committee members provide community awareness of what NA is, as well as how, when, and where we are available.

Cooperation with those who come in contact with addicts is important when carrying the message of NA. Without this cooperation, many addicts would never have found our fellowship. We want to work with other organizations, but we do not want to be merged with them in the mind of the public. To give the impression that we are one and the same would threaten our independence. Our aim is simply to make it known that NA is available. It may require additional effort to make clear the distinction between NA and other organizations. However, we will be rewarded as more addicts find us through other sources and our fellowship continues to grow.

>>A simple NA business meeting would have taken care of any concerns regarding the signing of court ordered slips. <<

Exactly what happened. This group’s solution was this letter.

>>To hand a letter to anyone to take back to the courts or their PO..... is to speak for NA as a whole..... and we do not speak for NA as a whole. Each NA group is autonomous..... and a group conscience is taken in matters that effect that individual group.<<

Again that is exactly what happened. This group’s solution was this letter.
You repeat yourself and again, this letter is from one group that stated in the first sentence that it is this group’s policy ….

>>The courts and what they do or do not do..... is an outside issue and when we give our opinions on outside issues as NA or AA members THAT can effect not only our own group, but also neighboring AA or NA groups and NA as a whole.<<

This letter does not offer any opinions on any outside issues on behalf of NA.
We have no recommendations for any outside organizations, nor do we participate in their politics. To do so would invite controversy which would jeopardize our fellowship's standing in the community. If we voice an opinion on any public issue, we may block the path for a new member to join our fellowship. It is critical that we remember this aspect of keeping our fellowship open to any addict who has the desire to stop using.

>>Tradition 2.... For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority - a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern.<<

And for the last time...that's exactly what happened.