View Single Post
Old 11-04-2003, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jayhay

You all help me a lot!

Hi everyone.
I've been reading the posts for the last few days, and have been able to identify with a lot of experiences and emotions. It's great to not be alone.

Today is the 5th day sober for me. I've been struggling for a few years with my drinking behavior. Back and forth between thinking it's a problem-it's not a big deal. I finally decided that I needed to find out how big a deal it is, so I went to a recovery program, and had an assessment done. I met 3, maybe 4 of the criteria for Alcohol Dependence. So, onto meetings and more individual therapy.

I have not had any withdrawal symptoms, except a little restlessness. I've been keeping busy for sure, as some other newly sober members have commented.

Today, I'm about done with work, and all of a sudden a huge craving for a beer (or 6) came out of nowhere. There was a fleeting thought of going to the store for a 6pack; I was scared, and said to myself "oh, no, I'm going to break it." But then I thought, "I should check in with soberrecovery and read some posts. That'll help" and sure enough it truly did. It's like having a whole bunch of sponsors to call on when you need them!

So, I'm now going to go home, walk the dog (even in the rain), and then go to pick up my kids from school. Tonight I plan to finish sewing a shirt I've been making for my son - he's been bugging me for a while about finishing it.

I'm glad to read form others that the cravings diminish over time. THat is one thing I was very worried about after the 1st couple days - I thought "If this yearning for alcohol (or the high) doesn't go away, how can I do it?"

But I think I can. Thanks for being there.

Jaymie