Notices

You all help me a lot!

Old 11-04-2003, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You all help me a lot!

Hi everyone.
I've been reading the posts for the last few days, and have been able to identify with a lot of experiences and emotions. It's great to not be alone.

Today is the 5th day sober for me. I've been struggling for a few years with my drinking behavior. Back and forth between thinking it's a problem-it's not a big deal. I finally decided that I needed to find out how big a deal it is, so I went to a recovery program, and had an assessment done. I met 3, maybe 4 of the criteria for Alcohol Dependence. So, onto meetings and more individual therapy.

I have not had any withdrawal symptoms, except a little restlessness. I've been keeping busy for sure, as some other newly sober members have commented.

Today, I'm about done with work, and all of a sudden a huge craving for a beer (or 6) came out of nowhere. There was a fleeting thought of going to the store for a 6pack; I was scared, and said to myself "oh, no, I'm going to break it." But then I thought, "I should check in with soberrecovery and read some posts. That'll help" and sure enough it truly did. It's like having a whole bunch of sponsors to call on when you need them!

So, I'm now going to go home, walk the dog (even in the rain), and then go to pick up my kids from school. Tonight I plan to finish sewing a shirt I've been making for my son - he's been bugging me for a while about finishing it.

I'm glad to read form others that the cravings diminish over time. THat is one thing I was very worried about after the 1st couple days - I thought "If this yearning for alcohol (or the high) doesn't go away, how can I do it?"

But I think I can. Thanks for being there.

Jaymie
Old 11-04-2003, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Jaymie,

Congrats on your 5 days sober!!! That is so great. Be very proud of yourself. The first week is rough, but it does get better with time. I'm still kind of a newbie myself (only 6 months), but nowadays, sobriety is my lifestyle. It doesn't seem odd anymore to not be drinking. At first it did. With time, you learn to modify your lifestyle to fit around your sobriety. And it just becomes a normal day to day thing. Oh yeah, I won't lie. I still get cravings for wine sometimes, but I've learned how to work through them, and move on. I enjoy my life now.

Keep up the good work. And keep in touch with us! Whenever you start to have a weak moment, check in here and talk to someone. We can all help each other.

Keep on keeping on.....

PG
Old 11-04-2003, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jaymie, Welcome to SoberRecovery. We're glad you found us and it sounds like you're on a roll. Congratulations on 5 days sober. That's great! And, yes it really does better, much better. You're right about finding inspiration on this board. It's a good place to hang out.

Love,
Anna
Old 11-04-2003, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi & welcome Jaymie,

congratulations on your 5 days of sobriety!

The cravings gradually lessened for me and became less scary as well. I think that for me the fear was a good sign that I was motivated to stay sober and that motivation helped me to keep reaching out when I needed to.

I'm glad you found what you needed here, happens for me a lot too!

Amy
Old 11-04-2003, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Jaymie and congratulations on your sober day's! Bigger congrats to you on making this decision. This is a great place for friendship, support, and reocovery!

We also have online meetings if you would like to join us. You can access them through the Chat Schedule on the top thread of any forum. Welcome!
Old 11-04-2003, 10:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Way To Go on your sober time!!

When I got the thirst...cold water or V8 juice worked well.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Congrats jayhay ! We are about in the same place as far as Sobriety goes , you are doing Great !
and yes , these boards got me thru a whole Sunday of withdrawal, they are just terrific !
Keep posting !
HUGXXXX
Lee
Old 11-05-2003, 12:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcomes.
Day 6, and all is (mostly) well.

I don't have a lot of time to post these days - busy schedule. I spend more time reading posts, and then I realize I have only a few seconds to type any of my own thoughts! I'll find more time sooon and tell a bit more about myself.

Jayhay
Old 11-05-2003, 04:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Jayhey, Welcome to the boards. That is great day 6. I think the best time is when you learn that even if you want a drink , you don't have to. I am only at 5 months and 22 days, but whos counting --HA! One thing that has helpped me is to understand that there are times that I will either think of drinking or want to drink. I was told to only try to control the things you can and turn the others over. My job now is to keep myself in safe places that I can't act on these thoughts. That is why it was important to my recovery, at least this early, I can't hang in bars or veterans clubs drinking coke. Most of us set our self up way before we drink. No matter what ******** reason I give, if I put myself around alcohol I want to drink and I'm setting myself up for the right excuse.
Please try and read the pit falls so you won't have to learn the hard way.
Don W