View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 05:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

Prayer for my uncle

Hi everyone -

I found out last night that my uncle (mom's brother) has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and is not doing very good. My aunt (mom's sister) called and I was crying so hard, she was comforting me, and it's her brother! To make it worse, my aunt (this uncle's wife) has been a saint to our family. She took care or her mom for 50 years, my g'ma, now my uncle and she's recently been diagnosed with Parkinson's.

I will wait until the funeral to go to MN. My mom's entire family will be there and I haven't seen them in 6 years. I decided that no matter what money problems I'm having right now, I will do whatever I have to to get to MN. We have always been close, no matter how long we don't see each other. The aunt who called me has been a major source of support for me.

Dad says he will try to go, too. Only thing is, I smoke cigarettes and he is a reformed smoker. He said he may take his own car so he doesn't have to put up with my smoke. I told him that's his choice - I'm taking my car so I can, hopefully, stay a few days.

I am VERY grateful that I have no desire to use anything to numb this pain. I buried my mom (my best friend) 16 years ago with nothing but the support of friends and family, and it was hard but I did it and will do it again.

I spent several summers with my aunts, uncles, and cousins when I was growing up.
I'm going to write my aunt and uncle and tell them how much they mean to me and how much they have brought to my life. I think about what to say and my heart just feels like it's being ripped apart, but I'm gonna ask God to let me say what I need to. It just hurts having to tell someone goodbye.

I told my boss what was going on and said "it sucks getting old".

Thanks!

Amy