Prayer for my uncle

Old 10-17-2007, 05:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Prayer for my uncle

Hi everyone -

I found out last night that my uncle (mom's brother) has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and is not doing very good. My aunt (mom's sister) called and I was crying so hard, she was comforting me, and it's her brother! To make it worse, my aunt (this uncle's wife) has been a saint to our family. She took care or her mom for 50 years, my g'ma, now my uncle and she's recently been diagnosed with Parkinson's.

I will wait until the funeral to go to MN. My mom's entire family will be there and I haven't seen them in 6 years. I decided that no matter what money problems I'm having right now, I will do whatever I have to to get to MN. We have always been close, no matter how long we don't see each other. The aunt who called me has been a major source of support for me.

Dad says he will try to go, too. Only thing is, I smoke cigarettes and he is a reformed smoker. He said he may take his own car so he doesn't have to put up with my smoke. I told him that's his choice - I'm taking my car so I can, hopefully, stay a few days.

I am VERY grateful that I have no desire to use anything to numb this pain. I buried my mom (my best friend) 16 years ago with nothing but the support of friends and family, and it was hard but I did it and will do it again.

I spent several summers with my aunts, uncles, and cousins when I was growing up.
I'm going to write my aunt and uncle and tell them how much they mean to me and how much they have brought to my life. I think about what to say and my heart just feels like it's being ripped apart, but I'm gonna ask God to let me say what I need to. It just hurts having to tell someone goodbye.

I told my boss what was going on and said "it sucks getting old".

Thanks!

Amy
Old 10-17-2007, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((impurrfect))) I'm very sorry. It hurts so much to lose someone or to know there is nothing that can be done to heal someone.

Prayers going up for you and your family.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((((((((((HUG)))))))))))))

Prayers for you and your family.

-Broken
Old 10-17-2007, 06:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Amy,
I come from a very small family, and I had a favorite aunt and uncle who were a blessing to me! I didn't get to see my aunt in the year before she died, and I have regretted that. I made a trip and spent time before my uncle died, and then I didnt' go to the funeral. I decided I would rather spend time with him than to see all the OTHER relatives at his funeral!

I will keep your family in my prayers.

Cats
Old 10-17-2007, 06:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

:praying
For you and your family,
susan
Old 10-17-2007, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

Cats - that's what I asked my aunt -do I go now, or wait until the funeral. I truly can't afford to go twice, and from the way it sounds we are down to weeks, and she said to wait. I think she wants to make sure she is there for me

I've got 2 of my favorite cats snuggled up next to me, so hopefully will get a little sleep. I've got to take my car to the garage to get heater core fixed. It's not too cold here in GA, but I'm sure it will be a bit nippy when I do go to MN.

Thanks again everyone!

Amy
Old 10-17-2007, 04:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Amy, Sending prayers for your uncle that his last days will be spent pain-free and in the loving care of his family. (And it does suck getting old because we lose the people that we love.) Hugs, Marle
Old 10-17-2007, 05:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

((((amy)))) i am really sorry about this.you will get thru this, i know u will. you have all of us praying for you & your family. keep us posted.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Your post is quite inspiring even though you're going through this hard time. You sound like a very loving and strong person. I hope you find peace through all this.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

So sorry to hear of your sad news...

Just a thought, you may want to ask your Aunt, if your Uncle is up to your visit. He may be heavily medicated to make him more comfortable.

Hugs to you, prayers for your Aunt and Uncle....

Last edited by mooselips; 11-19-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Amy...I'm so sorry for this bad news. I know for sure that your relatives will love to receive the letters you talked about. It's always so meaningful when those we love share how much they care.

I will be praying tonight for your uncle and for all your family and you too, Amy. And I will be thanking God that he brought you to this forum to share your ESH and your kind and compassionate soul with all of us. Hugs and prayers.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

My prayers for you and your family.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Amy,
I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. I'll keep your uncle and family in prayer. I'm glad you are strong enough not to have the urge to numb the pain. You are an inspiritation to me.

Stay strong............Lo
Old 10-18-2007, 12:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone!

I just wrote my letter...thought I would cry all the way through it but in sharing some of my memories of times with them, I got a warm fuzzy, comforting feeling.

I'm actually feeling pretty grateful right now - grateful that I'm willing to deal with the pain and I have NO desire to numb it, grateful that I have time to tell him how much a part of my life before it's too late, grateful that I can laugh at the fact that I'm sitting here carrying on a conversation with my cat, Elvis (yeah, he "talks" back) because he's trying to sit on my laptop.

Most of all I'm grateful for all of you here!

Thank you!

Amy
Old 10-19-2007, 05:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good morning all!

Why can't go bad one at a time Had to make a decision on whether to get car fixed (no heat and a bad sensor at $700) or get dental work (close to $3000 B4 I get the partials, another $2000). Initially, need 4 teeth pulled.

As it has gotten a little chilly a few nights and no fun without defroster AND I am looking at this trip to MN, car won out on that debate and is supposed to come out of the shop today. Last night, one of the teeth that needs pulling started aching, then broke in half, and now am in PAIN!!! Have been taken ibuprofen 800 mg all night, but can't even close my mouth.

So, am off to the dentist. He is very aware of my recovery - in fact his brother is a recovering crack addict, and the hygeinist's mom is an active addict. His office will not give an more than 16 lortab 7.5's for anything and NO refills. I've had to take lortabs and muscle relaxers twice been my ruptured disc in my back flared up and I was okay - kept my recovery first and foremost and did not abuse the meds. Will also ask him to give me script for the ibuprofen since the ones I've been taking are my stepmom's.

Thank God for my dad - he is loaning me part of the money to get the car done (I've always paid him back quickly) and told me to take a blank check to the dentist, but I've got enough $$ in my account (I think) to cover this so am hoping to bring the blank check back to him. I don't consider it enabling 'cause I always pay him back and have helped him out when money was tough.

Can't get the tooth pulled today 'cause today is my Monday and I've got to work tonight. Will set an appointment for Wed. so I have a couple days to recover. I am waiting for a new credit card - didn't want to use it, 'cause don't want to go further into debt, but if I have to use it I will. Wanted it for a "backup" for emergencies. Will just turn the $$ worries over to God - He hasn't let me down yet.

Will check back in when I get back.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-19-2007, 09:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello again!

Back from the dentist. Funny how things work out when you turn it over ($$ concerns) - insurance covered my visit and I only had to pay the $15 I owed from last visit. He gave me 16 tylenol #3's and I have an appt. for Wed. (my day off) to get at least that tooth pulled if not all 4. Also found out about a plan that, if you're approved, will cover all dental work not covered by insurance with low monthly payments, so will apply for that.

Talked to my aunt in Ark. She said my uncle and aunt (his wife) had already discussed what to do if it's too hard for her to take care of him. He wants to go into a nursing home at that point, rather than put all the burden on her. Their 4 kids, spouses and grandkids are all taking care of details - home health and hospice has been called in. My one cousin is an RN so is a great help.

I initially felt bad that I can't go up there and help out. But I realized that he has a wonderful family that has always taken care of each other. Plus, he has lived in the same town his entire life (except when in the Navy) and been very active in their church. So I am confident that he will spend his last weeks surrounded by people who love him.

Thanks, again, for the prayers. I know they're helping me

Hugs and prayers!

Amy