View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
kelsh

Smile Rehab or not?

Hi MdScot,

When I was in my 30's I went to in-patient rehab and enjoyed being away from my family so much decided to get a divorce.....big mistake...I stayed sober about one year with AA but didn't work the steps and then drank for 14 more years.

This time I was much worse, drank less but got drunk easier. I finally made a decision to get help and was hospitalized for detox for six days. I went to AA every evening starting the day I was released from the hospital. I went to counseling for my alcoholism and depression at the same time, too. After a month, I agreed to go to in-house rehab. I hated it. It was for hard-core alcoholics/addicts...just what I needed. When I got there I had been sober a month but my head was still foggy.

When I got back home, I was ready to work my AA Program and did all the suggested things like get a sponsor, read the Big Book, attend 90 meetings in 90 days but I attend more than 365 meetings in the first year. I wanted to be sober more than anything in my life. 6 When I had my first birthday I just couldn't quit smiling.

I do think it depends on the person and what they want to do and how bad they want to stay sober. It took what it took for me. My brother went to treatment four or five times and is still out there at the age of 65.

Life is good for me now. I have 19 years of sobriety and still work the AA Program some every day.: lmao

kelsh