View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 05:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
findingout
Not the center of the Universe

Hey and welcome MDScot.

I did not do an inpatient recovery program but I did do 6 weeks in an outpatient program followed by 9 months of early recovery therapy in addition to A.A. and N.A. I think they helped me. They gave me an opportunity to learn some different information and to have some of the same information presented in a different manner. We are not all the same person even though we share the same disease and different people learn at different rates and in different ways.

At one time, I might have thought that inpatient rehab was just for people who needed help detoxing, but two books, "Dry: A Memoir" by Augusten Burroughs and "Time Is All We Have" by Barnaby Conrad, have convinced me otherwise. Both include personal accounts of what inpatient rehab is like and what the authors went through physically, mentally, and spiritually during their stays.

I know people in the programs who swear by their stays in rehab and I know people who say they tried rehab numerous times and didn't get sober until they put both feet down in A.A. We are pegs of many shapes and sizes and there's more than one hole in recovery for us to fit in.

I don't think anyone can guarantee an outcome for you before you go but I think you might want to consider it because the only way to know if it will work is to actually try it with an honest desire to get the most out of it and a willingness to let it do what it can do. By your own admission, what you are currently doing is not producing the results you desire. So try something else.