View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 08:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
fluffyflea

Hi,

Keep reading and posting. are there any alanon meetings in your area?

Don't expect him to recognize everything you have done or are doing fo rhim.. they generally don't unless they have been sober for awhile.

Time to take care of you.

Ngaire

Originally Posted by Because View Post
I have been married to an alcoholic for 8 years (lived with him for one year before marriage). He is presently in rehab for the second time this year. He was also in rehab 4 years ago. Over the years he has tried various approaches, but was never able to follow through.

I have saved his life over and over again. But, I suppose some people just don't want to be saved. I truly believe he would not be alive if he wasn't with me (or anyone else that would be there to save him).

Up until the last year, he was a highly functional alcoholic, with a successful business and able to plan and do activities with me. Fortunately, he has a business partner and still has his very profitable business. But, he has basically checked out of life. His alcholism has progressed terribly over the last 2 years (as it does as one gets older).

During one of his binges, I consulted an attorney to file for a legal separation. He showed up and I sent him to the ER and onto detox and rehab. I decided not to pursue any legal action, as I had promised him that I would not do so if he went into rehab.

Well....it's been a week since his re-entry. He has been offensive, verbally abusive, and downright nasty. My life is chaos and he does not recognize all that I have done for him and am doing for him right now. I am exhausted beyond belief. We don't have children (chose not to), but I have been taking care of an "adolescent" all these years. I feel bad for him because he had a childhood of abuse and now suffers from PTSD. I don't believe he can stay sober or take care of himself. But, I am waiting for him to take care of me. I realize that this may never be possible.