View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 01:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Spinner-007

we DO NOT CHOOSE this way of life. Sure, it is not like cancer (except for those who smoke) but WE...DO...NOT..CHOOSE.

Alyce, please clarify this for me. If this is not a choice, then why are addicts able to come clean? What divides the addicts from the recovering addicts?

I don't understand addiction entirely, so I'm not trying to be 'smart', but I just want to know the addicts/former addicts perspecitive.

My wife is that addict in my life, and I've read the addicts posts to gain some perspective, and to be quite honest, it appears that there is an 'addict camp', and a 'relative to an addict camp'. Each has their own point of view: we're advised here that the addict must make the decision to give up drugs. The addicts perspective is one of being powerless against this(at least that's what I read into so far...), and your message is reiterates that.

From my understanding, addiction is a hunger like nothing else a 'clean' person can understand. But there are those who choose not to feed that hunger.

So is it a really uncontrollable?