View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 12:39 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Sara9009
Eclectics Anonymous

I know I am new here and everyone is coming from the best place in their hearts but everyone needs to decide for themselves where they are at with their drinking. It is one thing to say "Yeah, I tried controlled drinking and it didn't work for me" but I feel like some people are being a little harsh.

I feel like some of the comments would be more inclined to turn people away then bring them into the fold. She is at a point in her life where she needs to decide for herself whether she is an alcoholic or was nearing a stage of problem drinking. She may one day decide she can't control her drinking and by some of the responses I am not sure I would come back if I were in her shoes. Just because controlled drinking did not work for you doesn't mean it won't work for her. All we can do is share our experiences. I think we over-step when we start telling people what emotions or stages they are in.

She said she has been reading the board for a long time and if she does have a problem then even being here and reading other's experiences brings her closer to her sobriety or "control." There are a small amount of people that can control their drinking after having a problem drinking time in their life. The number is around 5-10%

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2587076.shtml

Anyhow, I just wanted to give a newbie, outside prospective on the approach that some are giving Pixel. I hope I haven't over stepped.