Thread: I feel lonely
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 07:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
DoingWell

Hey Mar, there are many alternatives to AA. I do however reccomend if you've never tried it to at least give it a chance, It wasn't for me but I did give it a whirl.
I decided to seek help with a therapist and I also attend group therapy sessions for the f2f experience. I also am doing behavioral group therapy as well which has been great. I had problems with depression and manic depression LONG before I put any drink or drug into me so I know for a fact my brain chemistry is ABNORMAL, the booze and pills made everything worse.
Before getting hooked up with a therapist my doctor wanted me to taper off the pills and setup a 2 week taper schedule, so I had no DT's really. I was popping a lot of valium, ambien (I have always had sleep problems)
and I was drinking with them. Whenever I tried to stop on my own the depression was immense and the anxiety would send me to the roof.
Call your doctor and be honest with him about everything, I've got almost 8 months under my belt but it was being honest with my doctor first that opened the correct door for me.
Also I have a few friends in my group therapy that do both therapy and AA
Our group is mostly for those with substance/alcohol problems who were self-medicating due to underlying mental health issues but a good therapist/doctor will fit you in with the right group for you. Typically you should be drug/alcohol free for at least 6 months for an accurate diagnosis, unless you have had the depression before you started drinking?
DO talk to your doctor.