View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 11:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
angrybigsis

God of Retribution?

Originally Posted by PunishedByGod View Post
As for God punishing me, I wish I could think otherwise, but for now (and really for a long, long time) I believe otherwise. Maybe I'll wise up soon and know that He is there to help, not condemn. I just feel I served my time - why does the punishment continue?

PBG
I am so sorry to read about your pain. The addict in my life is my brother, and my mother says things that are similar to what you've posted. She blames herself, but mostly, she blames my father and his wife (long story).

I grew up in a church that preached retribution. Do something bad, God will punish you. Don't do something God wants you to do, God will punish you. These suposed infractions were simple things like missing a church service, fudging on your tithing, etc.

It took me 32 years to get over that fear-based indoctrination, and I'm never going back, EVER. I don't believe in a God that punishes people; people punish themselves more than adequately. I also absolutely reject the idea of a God who punishes one person for the behavior of someone else. If God is love, then why would God "visit the sins" of one person on another, especially an innocent child?

Sorry, but I reject that kind of a God. I thought God was about unconditional love?

I just wanted to share this because it breaks my heart to see people who are hurting have that hurt exacerbated by fire-and-brimstone religion.