View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 08:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Barbara52

Try not to apply logic to an irrational mind. It just won't work. Unfortunately, for an addict, the substance they are addicted to (whatever it is) is indeed more important than any person can ever be to them. That is why it destroys so many lives. An alcoholic is focused on alcohol to the extend that a relationship is nearly impossible. Does he hate you? I can't say of course. But if you are making steps to take care of yourself and not him, he may very well resent it.

My AH also always said he loves me and wants to spend the rest of his life with me. His actions however told me that alcohol was way more important than I. Or his daughters. Or anyone else. If he loved me, he would have listened when I pointed out that he drank to excess and I asked him to stop drinking. If he loved me he would have gotten a job rather than remain unemployed 2 yrs after losing his last job. If he loved me, he would have been willing to go to counseling. And so many other things.

I believe on some level he loves me in his own way. But that way included being real happy to have someone pay all the bills, take care of the house and yard and let him just withdraw and "enjoy" sitting around doing not much of anything and get drunk everyday. He is not so happy now that I left him and withdrew all financial support other than paying the mortgage until we can sell the house.