View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 11:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
snowgoose

Frankly, I rarely felt hungover. And in addition, I could drink other people under the table. Me, a 125 pound female. I remember when one of my brothers noticed my amazing capacity and told me he thought it spelled trouble. I did have a lot of fun on the occasions when I drank with friends in relatively safe situations like pub-type places after a day on the ski slopes, but my drinking deteriorated into closet-style because I discovered it would make the pain of anxiety go away on a regular basis.

However, I had somehow dealt (not well) with anxiety as an adult prior to my discovery of alcohol, and am dealing with it again in sobriety. No, I don't miss drinking all that much. I'd rather have the time and capacity to "get things done" and learn and grow, which I had lost while drinking. Plus I was on my way down the slippery slope of alcoholism, I'm convinced, and didn't care to find a bottom any more painful than where I was, which was bad enough.

When I came into the rooms, there were those who thought I couldn't possibly be an alcoholic because I hadn't lost enough. Well, maybe not to their eyes. Anyone hanging around a substance abuse forum who is trying to convince him or her self of not having a problem, is welcome to go back out and experiment some more. But honestly, I hate to say that because some of those who go back out fail to find their way back, and the disease too often ends up with death.

Blessings from the Snowgoose.