View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 10:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Rowan

Well, for me, it's about taking steps to correct past wrongs. Being a better parent to my children through not drinking and by taking a more active role in their lives.

It's about spending time with other people in recovery. It's about getting right with God. It's about apologizing to people I may have hurt through my actions, and by changing my behaviour.

It's about helping others who enter recovery, by sharing my own experience.

In a nutshell, it's about CHANGE.

When I drank, I did so in order to escape from life, from depression, from insecurity, from fear, from feeling rotten. I wanted to numb out, and to not feel. I didn't learn how to cope with life, I just drank it all away. And when I stopped drinking, I found myself not knowing how to cope with life without feeling overwhelmed or like wanting to kill myself.

Sobriety, or if you will, recovery, is teaching me a little at a time how to rejoin the human race. I attend relapse prevention group therapy twice weekly and it's helping me to look at family of origin issues. All of the above is helping me to become whole. I was so broken, starlite dawn.