View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
keepingmyjoy
Keepingmyjoy

Question Need help-things are too weird

Hi all. Things are really weird around my house right now. AH says he quit drinking. Funny thing is, he has a new obsession with brushing his teeth! His drink of choice is beer. But, we had a bottle of rum 2/3rds gone and bottle of bourbon that neither of us likes to drink, but bought to make a bourbon cake at Christmas last year still in the house when he quit. I decided after reading here not to dump them and not think about it and work on myself. The rum is just about gone and the bourbon, which was almost full is now at 1/4 bottle left! And, when I pick him up from work, when he talks, he talks facing out the window. I think he walks to the store and gets beer on his lunch. I can tell when he has drank and when he has not.

So here is my dilema: Do I confront him about it? He will probably deny it. Should I dump the alcohol left in the house and just not say anything? We are doing the "pretend everything is fine" dance right now. I am going along with it so that during this peaceful time I can build myself up and get stronger and try to set money aside etc. But, living like this is so weird. We are like roommates...talk only about superficial stuff. Every so often, he throws out a sarcastic comment or two and I know he has been drinking that day. Otherwise, things are rather mellow. Oh, and I should also mention that his new thing is to take the little guy to the park. The other day, they get home and little guy shows me his new whistle. He is so excited and says "Daddy got it for me at the beer store"! So, what, now he has to take little guy to go for a walk as an excuse to get beer? He was not drunk whatsoever, but really! He must be that desperate to hide the drinking from me.

Have any of you guys been through this part? I feel like I am just sitting around waiting for the other shoe to drop! Even so, I keep going on with my activities...it's not like I am not busy! I work 40 hrs a week, have a side business and a 3 yr old! Not to mention 21 yr old daughter. But every time I look at him, I feel so hurt and angry. I want to scream at him: How can you sit around this house and do stuff keeping yourself busy like nothing ever happened! We have not discussed his drinking at all since I told him that he will lose everything if he does not stop as I will leave etc.

I feel like I am in some twilight zone! If you would, any of you, please share what you think and if you have been through this before, what should I expect next? Should I try to talk to him? Thanks.