View Single Post
Old 10-24-2003, 10:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Matt V.
Paused

Originally posted by The Jay Walker
...mens stag in my area that I was reffering to has a Ban on that prayer as well, it is stated in the meeting format that, no one shall recite the lords prayer in that meeting.
I know from personal experience with that group that it is to keep members with christian beliefs out
I personally don't care which, if any, prayers a group choose to use in opening or closing meetings. I just don't participate. However, a question comes up. Isn't the use of western Christian prayers in meetings exclusionary of anyone that has very strong non-Christian beliefs? This could be a problem for newcomers that may feel as though they have to participate even though it goes against their own beliefs.

This debate has been raging since long before I came into AA, and probably will be long after I'm dead and gone. The fact of the matter is that AA has a very strong western Christian bias and always has. Denying that fact won't change it. One of the founders was a religious zealot. Fortunately, there were other members that could shorten his leash from time to time.