Thread: I need help
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 02:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
earthmama

Hi again brobo

When I first got sober, most people genuinely DID NOT know about my drinking. My husband knew, my mom and brother might have (but they are alcoholics so didn't see it as abnormal) - that's about it. Except POSSIBLY my neighbors who might have wondered why they never saw me after 4 pm or so. I stayed home alone with my family and drank until I put the kids to bed, and then drank a lot more after I put the kids to bed, and then finally "went to bed" myself (passed out is more like it). Wake up, feel bad, wash, rinse, repeat.

I felt awkward at first in AA, not at the meetings themselves, but with the few friends I had, since they were unaware of my drinking. I felt like if I said "I just joined AA" what they would be hearing is "up until recently, I was rip roaring drunk!" I just chose to stay quiet about it with my friends, and go to my meetings, and get the help I knew I HAD TO HAVE if I was going to give my kids any sort of decent life. I grew up in an alcoholic home and I did not desire the same for my three boys.

Thank God I set those worries aside and went to AA. I do not regret it one teeny tiny bit. It was most definitely the best thing I've ever done for myself and for the people I love.

Glad you're still here...keep posting