Notices

I need help

Old 08-24-2007, 12:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Don't worry about anonymity - everyone else is there for the same reason you are - help, assistance, advice, fellowship, staying sober one day at a time.

I'll bet that you'll hear more than one of your "secrets" when someone else is sharing their own story. At least in my case, I'm not quite as unique as I thought I was!!

TinLizzy
Old 08-24-2007, 01:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Brobo,
Keep at it, it will get better, that is a promise! The admission to ourselves that we are truly alcoholic and need help is a major hurdle.

Let me echo some of the previous posts, anonymity will take care of itself. I think one of the biggest shocks that I experienced in early sobriety was that after I had been sober a few months several of the folks in my life whom I had done such a "good job of hiding my drinking from," commented to me that they were HAPPY FOR ME AND HAD BEEN SO CONCERNED ABOUT MY EXCESSIVE DRINKING FOR SOME TIME!!

We do a much better job of fooling ourselves than we do others. I really wish you the best and do hope that you find AA and the people in those rooms. I remember the withdrawal and the sheer misery of the first few weeks. It does get better if you can just not drink today.

The bad news for me about AA was that I didn't have the dark secrets that I thought were only mine, and in fact I wasn't unique! It has been 8 years and I am still a little upset that I am not Unique, but I suspect I may get over it.

Welcome, sobriety has more wonders and surprises than you can even begin to imagine. It just gets better everyday. If it didn't why on earth would we do it!

Jon
Old 08-24-2007, 02:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi again brobo

When I first got sober, most people genuinely DID NOT know about my drinking. My husband knew, my mom and brother might have (but they are alcoholics so didn't see it as abnormal) - that's about it. Except POSSIBLY my neighbors who might have wondered why they never saw me after 4 pm or so. I stayed home alone with my family and drank until I put the kids to bed, and then drank a lot more after I put the kids to bed, and then finally "went to bed" myself (passed out is more like it). Wake up, feel bad, wash, rinse, repeat.

I felt awkward at first in AA, not at the meetings themselves, but with the few friends I had, since they were unaware of my drinking. I felt like if I said "I just joined AA" what they would be hearing is "up until recently, I was rip roaring drunk!" I just chose to stay quiet about it with my friends, and go to my meetings, and get the help I knew I HAD TO HAVE if I was going to give my kids any sort of decent life. I grew up in an alcoholic home and I did not desire the same for my three boys.

Thank God I set those worries aside and went to AA. I do not regret it one teeny tiny bit. It was most definitely the best thing I've ever done for myself and for the people I love.

Glad you're still here...keep posting