View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
laurenlanai25

just know you are not alone in the feelings that you are having! i too
was afraid to lose my friends when i got sober the first time around. the sad thing was, i lost people who i thought were my friends. once i could no longer offer them a place to party or shots at the bar or a drinking buddy to hang out with, the phone calls stopped. it was very hard on me at first but my true friends were the ones who stuck by me and those are the friendships i want out of life today, friendships with substance not just about getting f'd up together! just because you want to get sober does not mean you have to give up your friends you just have to find new things to do with them, movies, coffee, dinner, game nights....i know it doesnt sound like a ton o fun but you would be surprised. the people who dont stick by you were never your true friends and who wants friends like that any way!

also, its very hard to make a non-alcoholic understand alcoholism, my mom to this day does not get it and her dad and my dad are both alcoholics. so i have just given up trying to explain things to her and do what is best for me and let her see the difference in my life when i dont drink!!

good luck
L