Thread: My Son
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 05:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ladyamalthea

Great job! Time to focus on you for a change

It is kinda a funny feeling to wake up and realize that the person you're worried about is an addict, isn't it? I remember that moment with my sister... it made things make sense, but I think I was honestly in shock for a few days before I was able to digest it and go on. I think, for most of us, it's hard to see how serious our loved one's problems are at first, because we care about them so much, and putting a label like "addict" on them seems to somehow dehumanize them to a degree, or at least it did for me until I learned more about what was going on. Not that I didn't still love her, but it was like she was a new animal, something I wasn't familiar with and couldn't fully comprehend. Kinda funny, in a way... b/c now that I understand addiction a little better, I am able to look at myself and realize that, had I fallen into the same traps that she did, I may not have turned out any differently.

Once he moves out, I am sure things will get a little less tense, especially around the house. It may take some adjusting for everyone, but I am so glad you stood your ground. Just remember, once he's out, he needs to be taking care of himself fully. Don't let him trick you or pity you into giving him money for ANYTHING. No matter what it is for, it is helping him to get drugs. The sooner your son realizes that he cannot make it in life the way he's behaving, the sooner he may wake up and realize that things need to change. So, let him learn, or "fall" as the popular term is.

I know this may sound backwards, but I am so happy for you, that you were strong enough to do this. Just keep going one day at a time. Are you going to any meetings?

*hugs and prayers*