View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR taltalonet, as Carol suggested I would suggest seeing your doctor before quitting abrubtly, withdrawal from alcohol can and does kill in certain cases.

In regards to going to your first AA meeting I have a few suggestions:

1. look up a beginners meeting in your area and go to it.
2. If you do not want to go alone to a meeting, call your local AA hotline and talk to them, they may be able to arrange for someone to meet you at a meeting or maybe even give you a ride to one.

Keep in mind a few things, you do not have to say a word if you choose not to, just sit in the back and listen.

Most important is when listening is try not to look for differences between you and those speaking, listen for things you can relate to.

Every alcoholic is different, but there are things we have in common also.

I would reccommend if possible to get to the meeting about 15 minutes early and plan on hanging around and talking for a bit after the meeting.

Keep in mind that AA only works if you work it, it takes going to a lot of meetings before you will start to get what is going on, it does help a lot if you ask someone to be your temporary sponsor, they can explain things to you that you may have questions about.

Grab pamphelets at the meeting and read them.

Going to that first meeting is very hard, my disease was screaming at me every reason you can think of in the world to not go!

It is damn scary, I was scared to death when I went to my first one (Sober). Within 10 minutes I started to realize that every person in that room knew exactly what I was feeling because they had been in the same spot I was in..... scared and feeling lost..... hurting physically and mentally!

In a short amount of time you will find for the first time in your life people who understand you.

In AA I have found that it does not matter if someone is a doctor, lawyer, preacher, electrician, computor tech, grocery clerk, unemployed, or retired that we all have a common bond..... alcoholism! There is no rank or status, you will find the lawyer making coffee while the unemployed person is leading the meeting, you will find the construction person greeting people at the door while the doctor after the meeting may be cleaning the coffee pots.

In AA you will find that we are all equal, we are all alcoholics simply working on staying sober one day at a time and helping other alcoholics get and stay sober.