Thread: Thoughts please
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Karen I am on step 12 now with my sponsor (I think I have completed it and he is just messing with me now LOL) and he has not heard my full story yet. He knew some of it, basically enough to qualify me as an alcoholic who had his ass kicked bad enough to begin recovery by being willing to follow directions.

A sponsor sponsee relationship is a 2 way street, there are things a sponsor expects from a sponsee and things a sponsee needs from a sponsor, these things need to be worked out between them. There are no hard and fast rules or guidelines.

Karen if you you feel a need to share your story let your sponsor know that, I have a strong feeling she will be more then happy to just listen. As Sugah has said, our stories change with every step and with every year of sobriety and will continue to change until we go to that big meeting in the sky.

My sponsor & I have worked together on my recovery, my recovery is not dependent in any way on my story before I came into the rooms, parts of my story before AA came out in steps 4 & 8 mainly, with a sprinkling of some other parts through out the rest of the steps.

When I first came into AA my story was my drunkalog & what happened to bring me into AA.... that was it.

Today my story is my drunkalog, what happened to bring me into AA, and my recovery!

Last night my sponsor dropped a bombshell on me, I was to be one of 2 speakers at the meeting I was at!!!!

I am glad to say that I was able to share briefly about my drunkalog (Qualify myself), share about what finally brought me into AA, and to share for the most part my recovery...... in other words what it is like now for me.

I made every effort to share my story with the group in a manner that would give HOPE & STRENGTH to those new to AA. I know when I first came into the rooms hearing that there was HOPE for a sad old drunk like me made a huge difference.