View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 01:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
newblue82
Let me grow up.

Just wanted to share...

I was watching A&E last night "Intervention". And something one of the drug counselors said struck me as being really smart and insightful.

He said that realistically speaking if it was soley up to a drug addict, s/he couldn't be a successul active addict. It takes enablers to help an addict remain an addict. Addicts must have an enabler(s) to constantly bail them out, give them money, provide a place to stay etc. for them to remain in active addiction. They cannot do it alone because technically they don't have the mental or financial capacity to be successful at it. Almost like enablers are the brains behind the operation and the addict reaps the "benefits". That's why it's so important for the loved ones of an addict to cut all ties, close all doors and enforce boundaries for an addict to feel that s/he has ran out of resources to sustain the habit, hence have hit rock bottom because there's no one to turn to and realize that recovery is the best option.

I like that answer; that works a lot for me. Perhaps this is one of the things they teach in Al-non. . .Just wanted to share.