View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 03:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
BP44

Interesting thread. I don't think I've ever met anyone who comes to AA for the service work alone. I mean honestly, there are all types of opportunities to volunteer and do service work. So, the real question is how did you come to AA and what did your first step look like? Who knows, you may not be powerless over alcohol and your life may not be unmanageable. Here's the thing, if you are an alcoholic and continue to drink, more will be revealed, that you can count on. I'm just a little baffled though, why go through all of this if you aren't an alcoholic? I mean let's face it took a lot of us forever to get a sponsor and work with them. I know for myself that I had to be completely out of answers before I became willing. I don't know...I know there are people who will share that they drank and came to meetings for a long time before they got sober. Now that is something I can't relate to. When I'm out there....I'm out there. The last thing I want to be reminded of when I'm drinking is AA. But then again, I'm an alcoholic. Last thing I'll leave you with is this....we had a guy that was coming to our group over the past couple of months. He's been trying to get clean & sober for some time. Well, he took off without warning a week and a half ago, and they found him dead yesterday morning of a drug overdose. For some of us this is our last chance to get the message. A healthy reminder that I had best keep my butt in the chair, cause I might not get it back.