Old 07-26-2007, 08:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
oneeyeopen
Awaiting Email Confirmation

the reason I am going to ask for the money

Reality is -- any of us who are owed money by the addicts, any of us who are shelling out money to cover the credit card debts that built up through our generosity towards some one we loved, someone we gave the money to with the best of intentions, money that could be spent on our children, health, education, or whatever we would otherwise have spent it on, any of us who have even the remotest possibility to recoup some of our loss, we would grab it.

so I am I supposed to live an impoverished life for the next 3 years just so that abf's parents get a chance to teach him a lesson? am I supposed to not ask for the money just to prevent them from being enablers? Hey, it is totally their choice whether they want to pay it or not, and you know, it isn't like I am some dealer threatening to break their son's legs, I am the woman who has put up with him, stuck it out with him, loved him and cared for him, and tried my best to have a relationship that would eventually work.

You know, if he had stolen this money from them instead of me they still wouldn't have thrown him out of the house or stopped their enabling, so why the heck shouldn't I ask for it of them??? Parents pay off their children's debts of all kinds for all reasons, a debt to an ex girlfriend is no different than a student loan, a credit card, a car loan, a mortgage, and many, many parents help pay those for their kids. It isn't my fault he used the money on drugs, It wasn't like I loaned it to him with the intention of him using it to drink and use. No, it was loaned again and again as hope that he would use it to make his life better, to get a leg up, to start something.

Yes, naive of me, but you know, if I can get some of that money back, I sure as heck am going to try