View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 01:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
carl11
trying to get it..

Originally Posted by Yasmin1970 View Post
Hello everyone,

So, I attended my first AA meeting yesterday and it went really well !! I felt very welcome and it was very emotional for me. Didn't break down and cry or anything but it felt VERY right for me to be there !!! I chose not to speak yesterday...wanted to absorbe and really listen to what people had to say.

I don't know if it's a premature emotion for me to feel right about attending since I didn't "know" that I had a problem a week ago ?? Is it that simple ??? Can being unfaithful to your husband when comatose drunk, suddenly snap you out of it ???
(I have known for a long time that my drinking was out of control, but I NEVER EVER in a million years thought I would end up blacking out to such an extent that I didn't know what was going on... it was like waking up in the middle of a nightmare)

When I sat at the AA meeting yesterday I heard things that made me very sad. People who had lost their families, homes, children and jobs, due to drinking. One man said the only thing he hadn't done was to kill someone !!

All I know is that I just can't drink again !!!! It's not about the dust settling and then thinking... Oh... I can have a glass of wine or a beer.. I can't do that anymore because I have proved that I just can't. I have tried to moderate before, and I have tried to cut back on stronger booze but I end up worse and worse.

Either it's over for me as far as the drinking goes and I STOP now, or my life is over... !! That simple !! I don't want to lose my husband, my self respect or my life.

Thank you for listening to my ramblings... I have a lot on my mind.

Yasmin

good for you yasmin...I to am starting my first meetings too..tomorrow night and saturday.....those aren't ramblings jasmin....your sharing....I am going to wait a few meetings and listen hard, before I share....I'll know I think when the time is right.....astro gave me good advice regads looking for the similarities rather than looking for differences when at the meetings..I think thats apt and good advice....