Notices

My first AA meeting

Old 07-26-2007, 03:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first AA meeting

Hello everyone,

So, I attended my first AA meeting yesterday and it went really well !! I felt very welcome and it was very emotional for me. Didn't break down and cry or anything but it felt VERY right for me to be there !!! I chose not to speak yesterday...wanted to absorbe and really listen to what people had to say.

I don't know if it's a premature emotion for me to feel right about attending since I didn't "know" that I had a problem a week ago ?? Is it that simple ??? Can being unfaithful to your husband when comatose drunk, suddenly snap you out of it ???
(I have known for a long time that my drinking was out of control, but I NEVER EVER in a million years thought I would end up blacking out to such an extent that I didn't know what was going on... it was like waking up in the middle of a nightmare)

When I sat at the AA meeting yesterday I heard things that made me very sad. People who had lost their families, homes, children and jobs, due to drinking. One man said the only thing he hadn't done was to kill someone !!

All I know is that I just can't drink again !!!! It's not about the dust settling and then thinking... Oh... I can have a glass of wine or a beer.. I can't do that anymore because I have proved that I just can't. I have tried to moderate before, and I have tried to cut back on stronger booze but I end up worse and worse.

Either it's over for me as far as the drinking goes and I STOP now, or my life is over... !! That simple !! I don't want to lose my husband, my self respect or my life.

Thank you for listening to my ramblings... I have a lot on my mind.

Yasmin
Old 07-26-2007, 03:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Yasmin, it felt 'right' for me too when I went.
I am also very pleased to hear you say you tried to moderate and you know you cant and you either stop now or your life is over.

You are doing incredibly well!
Old 07-26-2007, 03:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WOW!!!--Sounds like yer on your way! I was curious about your first meeting experience--God Bless
Old 07-26-2007, 03:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

welcome to AA, Yasmin!
Old 07-26-2007, 03:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yaz... keep listening...

snag a good sponser... good?... someone that has what you want...

not what you like... understand what i mean?

one nights over the top stupidity, can be one of the keys to that door of willingness...

all good wishes yaz

xxoo, rz
Old 07-26-2007, 03:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm glad your first meeting was a good experience. There's many more waiting there for you.

Best you, Yasmin.

BHJ
Old 07-26-2007, 04:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi :-))

All I know is that I am going to keep going to meetings. They advised me to just keep going and going and going IF I decided to come back. There were hugs and lots of laughs. You could tell that they all got along and there was a lot of support between everyone.

All in all, a very good and positive experience. I really look forward to going back !!!
Old 07-26-2007, 05:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Yasmin,

I'm very glad that your first meeting was so positive! Listen to what they told you, and keep going and going - and listen to Rusty - get a sponsor! Get phone numbers for other women, too, and use them!
Old 07-26-2007, 08:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
let it grow!

well done, yasmin! k
Old 07-26-2007, 10:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on your first meeting and it going well. I relapsed when I stopped going to meetings and I never got a sponsor. I know from others experiences that AA works. Good luck to you!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

Originally Posted by Yasmin1970 View Post
Hello everyone,

So, I attended my first AA meeting yesterday and it went really well !! I felt very welcome and it was very emotional for me. Didn't break down and cry or anything but it felt VERY right for me to be there !!! I chose not to speak yesterday...wanted to absorbe and really listen to what people had to say.

I don't know if it's a premature emotion for me to feel right about attending since I didn't "know" that I had a problem a week ago ?? Is it that simple ??? Can being unfaithful to your husband when comatose drunk, suddenly snap you out of it ???
(I have known for a long time that my drinking was out of control, but I NEVER EVER in a million years thought I would end up blacking out to such an extent that I didn't know what was going on... it was like waking up in the middle of a nightmare)

When I sat at the AA meeting yesterday I heard things that made me very sad. People who had lost their families, homes, children and jobs, due to drinking. One man said the only thing he hadn't done was to kill someone !!

All I know is that I just can't drink again !!!! It's not about the dust settling and then thinking... Oh... I can have a glass of wine or a beer.. I can't do that anymore because I have proved that I just can't. I have tried to moderate before, and I have tried to cut back on stronger booze but I end up worse and worse.

Either it's over for me as far as the drinking goes and I STOP now, or my life is over... !! That simple !! I don't want to lose my husband, my self respect or my life.

Thank you for listening to my ramblings... I have a lot on my mind.

Yasmin

good for you yasmin...I to am starting my first meetings too..tomorrow night and saturday.....those aren't ramblings jasmin....your sharing....I am going to wait a few meetings and listen hard, before I share....I'll know I think when the time is right.....astro gave me good advice regads looking for the similarities rather than looking for differences when at the meetings..I think thats apt and good advice....
Old 07-26-2007, 01:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

Originally Posted by Rusty Zipper View Post
yaz... keep listening...

snag a good sponser... good?... someone that has what you want...

not what you like... understand what i mean?

xxoo, rz

thats good advice as well thank you..I see your point.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello Carl

Hi :-)

Well,... in my honest opinion and from my minimal experience, you have a lot to look forward to Carl. The people I have met on this journey have been wonderful and very inspiring... both at the AA meeting and here !! I will be using both to their fullest extent and hopefully... in future, I may be a source of help to others. It really is strange because right now...I am looking forward to THAT day when in a social situation... NO THANK YOU, I will have coke, water or WHATEVER and to feel good about saying it.

Everyone is saying ONE DAY AT A TIME and today.. I am having a rollercoster of a day but all in all, I am starting to ease up a bit, and am looking forward to reading my book before I go to bed :-)))

About the similarities Astro mentioned.... SPOT ON !! I so agree with that !!! All our stories were different BUT we were all the same at the end of the day. We all want to move forward and away from drinking. It really doesn't matter what lead up to making that choice, but we have all made it and that is the bond I suppose. I felt like I had come home !!!!

I wish you all the best luck for tomorrow !!!

Peace,
Yasmin
Old 07-26-2007, 02:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Keep going to the meetings Yasmin!
Old 07-26-2007, 02:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Drunken Infidelity

Hi Yasmin,

I know exactly how you feel, being on the verge of losing my own long suffering partner.

I have done exactly what you have done and not only once either. The last time this appened to me it was unprotected and i had to go for STD testing.
During the blackouts i didn't know what was happening until it was too late and there were always plenty of men making themselves available at those times.
Luckily i was clear. Yet i STILL didn't seek help for my drinking even though my partner had threatened to leave many times.

I am finally seeking the help i need ( i have attended my first AA meetings this week )and please stick with it Yasmin because trust me on this one it will happen again if you continue.

Just keep going and i will try to do the same.

God bless.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

AA works. people who go to AA usually understand where you've come from...

glad you gave it a try. keep coming back!
Old 07-27-2007, 07:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

Originally Posted by Yasmin1970 View Post
Hi :-)

Well,... in my honest opinion and from my minimal experience, you have a lot to look forward to Carl. The people I have met on this journey have been wonderful and very inspiring... both at the AA meeting and here !! I will be using both to their fullest extent and hopefully... in future, I may be a source of help to others. It really is strange because right now...I am looking forward to THAT day when in a social situation... NO THANK YOU, I will have coke, water or WHATEVER and to feel good about saying it.

Everyone is saying ONE DAY AT A TIME and today.. I am having a rollercoster of a day but all in all, I am starting to ease up a bit, and am looking forward to reading my book before I go to bed :-)))

About the similarities Astro mentioned.... SPOT ON !! I so agree with that !!! All our stories were different BUT we were all the same at the end of the day. We all want to move forward and away from drinking. It really doesn't matter what lead up to making that choice, but we have all made it and that is the bond I suppose. I felt like I had come home !!!!

I wish you all the best luck for tomorrow !!!

Peace,
Yasmin
Hi back yasmin ;-) ...I am looking forward to it....amd will let you know how it went when I get back...

b well.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Where's my manners ?

Welcome !
Old 07-27-2007, 11:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Where ARE your manners???

sorry yasmin - just a 'dig' for GP there....

are you going to be able to try the 90/90?
I notice some areas don't have meetings every day...

Last edited by barb dwyer; 07-27-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I missed meeting tonight but I did some service work today and been online sharing I'be back at meeting tomorow God willing.Kids had a school golf touny tonight I couldn't say no.I guess my 90 in 90 is shot.Progress not perfection think this was right thing for me and the family.