View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 06:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
care4uNJ

It wasn't until I started dating my ex-ABF, who was definitely 'addicted' to alcohol that I realized that my ex-H wasn't addicted, but rather abused it. He enjoyed drinking as a past time. Always out with his friends drinking and have a grand ole time. Was the first one to wear the proverbial 'lampshade' at every gathering, drank, drank, drank. BUT....... he wasn't addicted to it. He just enjoyed it! Like I said it wasn't until I came face to face with a addict did I realize that there is definitely a difference. My ex-H had absolutely no problem quitting. When we separated, he just didn't have the extra money to go out to bars or even buy it so he stopped cold turkey. Just like that. No cravings or relapses. Just stopped drinking because he wasn't 'fun' anymore. Meanwhile, my ex-abf has been in and out of rehabs, lost his job, his family, his friends, basically his life and yet still craves the sh**. I don't have to be an expert to realize that there is definitely a difference between abuse and addiction! At least from my experience. Jo