Thread: here goes again
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 05:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Elana
Bridge CLOSED

I know how badly you want to believe he wants to make your marriage work and I know how bad you want to believe he wants to be clean. I understand wanting to believe this stuff.

However, he is showing you exactly what addicts do.

I am sorry because I know it hurts to wake up and smell the coffee.. and luckily you can (and have) cuz you are sober! He is an addict. he cannot.

That being said, you now have a choice.. go on believing the fairy tale will come true (him sober and loving and commtted and you living a nice life together as a family) or you can choose to move on, detach from the madness and take care of yourself and your kids.

Addicts are NOT reliable. You are relying on an addict to provide you with money (support for you and kids). I think you see how this may not happen. Fact is, he may end up on the street with no law license, no money and only his addiction. It has happened to a lot of people.. a long fall... Don't let him take you down with him!!!

Hard as it is, you need to plan your life as if he did not exist (nor his income). If he vanished tomorrow, what would you do (and I mean vnanished, not dead, so no life insurance money!).

You need to plan on your life based on your income, what you make and what that will support. That is going to mean a lot of changes.. and some of those changes may feel embarassing or a real step "down." It is OK. Really it is. It isn't easy but it is OK. It only means adjsutment and hard work.. and neither one of those things is deadly.