Thread: New here...
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 04:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
embraced2000

hi supportive and welcome....

this is my experience only.....my xh would detox at home and i was totally naive about what to expect. now, keep in mind that he has detoxed at home probably hundreds of times. the first few times, it was hell for me. i put him to bed, carried him liquids and soups, laid beside him at times, and did everything but wind his butt and powder his watch.

i later learned how very dangerous this was and what a huge risk he was putting himself in.....and of course this was another very selfish, self-centered action on his part of laying his crisis at my feet, knowing i would just worry myself sick with it all. i learned to look at the situation and think.....would i do this to my family????? nope....i wouldn't want them to feel responsible for me going through a detox, i would want to be in the hands of professionals.

his doc told me he could have very well died during these detoxes. so after the first few times, and a lot of al-anon under my belt, i would call 911 when he would detox and get to the point of medical emergency.

i learned to see it for the manipulative, selfish action that it was. if he had been truly sincere and ready to accept his treatment plan, he wouldn't have put himself at such danger and wouldn't have used these attempts (usually as a last resort after really f-ing up) as a calculated move to gain sympathy and support.

this was how it was in my life, with my xh.